VNT Turbo's - Always Insist On A Genuine Replacement!
Honeywell Turbo Technologies introduced a Non-Repair Policy for their Garrett VNT turbochargers in 2004. No genuine spare part components are available for these units and no calibration information issued. This was due to the intricacies of the modern VNT turbocharger and the precise calibration required to make them compatible with the engine's ECU. The latest rotating electronic actuator (REA) units are fitted with an Eprom chip that is flashed on the production line uniquely for every turbocharger unit and therefore are not a part that can be simply replaced or swapped.
With remanufactured VNT™ turbos, you're gambling on your engine reliability
Millions of Garrett® VNT™ turbos operate around the world – they are highly complex units, engineered and calibrated to meet the exacting performance parameters of automotive manufacturers. They deliver optimum performance and ensure high reliability. Any attempt at remanufacturing, using substitute parts, is fraught with difficulty because of the turbo's technical complexities, leading to potentially serious problems, such as:
- Conflict with the engine management systems
- Low flow/pressure, causing poor response, poor overall performance and increased emissions
- Over-rich diesel fuel/air mix, causing excessively high temperatures, damaging both the turbo and the engine
- High flow/pressure, leading to the over-speeding of the turbo, wheel bursting and damage to turbo and engine
- Excessive boost pressure, causing physical damage to the engine
So when you need a replacement VNT turbo, make sure you specify original Garrett® VNT™.
Honeywell Garrett 'new only' replacement policy
The complexity of the Garrett VNT™ turbocharger means that any attempt to remanufacture could lead to potentially serious problems. To safeguard customers' interests, Garrett will only provide new replacement turbocharger units for VNT™ technology. That is why Turbo Dynamics, as an official Garrett Authorised Turbo Specialist, only supplies brand new VNT turbochargers instead of remanufactured units.